Cultural & Artistic attractions

Château de Malmaison

The Château de Malmaison is the historic former-residence of Josephine Bonaparte. So come with us and let’s find out all about this hidden treasure on the outskirts of Paris!

Josephine, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, acquired this property on 21 April 1799. From 1800 to 1802 it was to become the seat of the French government, together with the Tuileries in Paris, and frequently played host to meetings attended by ministers of the Consulate.

The unique style of the Château de Malmaison is inspired by 18th century art, interpreted by the two pioneering architects who oversaw its renovation: Percier and Fontaine.

At the time of Josephine’s purchase in 1799, the property boasted 60 hectares of land. In 1814, the year of her death, the grounds of the castle had expanded to a mammoth 726 hectares of parkland. With the help of her architects, the empress installed a botanical garden with a huge heated greenhouse where she planted exotic vegetation from around the world.

The Malmaison Museum is open every day except Tuesdays.

Opening time:
From 1 October to 31 March: 
Weekdays 10am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5:15pm
Weekends 10am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5:45pm

From 1 April to 30 September: 
Weekdays 10am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5:45pm
Weekends 10am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 6:15pm

Admission Fees:
6,50€ / Reduced 5€ / Groups 5,50€ / Gardens 1,50€
Temporary exhibition : +2€

For more information, visit the website.

Château de Bois Préau

The Château of Bois-Préau, currently closed for renovation, was the last acquisition of Empress Josephine. She lodged her doctor there and stored her countless collectible objects there too.

After the death of Josephine in 1814, several owners succeeded her one after another. The Americans Mr. & Mrs Tuck, great benefactors of the city, purchased it in 1920 and offered it as a gift in 1926 to the National Museums to create an annex to the Château de Malmaison.

Opening time
Closed on Tuesdays
From Octobre, 1st to March, 30th: from 9.30 am to 6 pm
From April, 1st to April, 30th: from 9.30 am to 7 pm
From May, 1st to Septembre, 30th: from 9.30 am to 8 pm

- Free admission - 

Parc de Bois-Préau
1, avenue de l'Impératrice Joséphine
Rue Charles Floquet.

Le Parc de l'Amitié

The park of friendship, right in Rueil-Malmaison’s centre is a haven of 1 500 square meters of quietness with delicate Asiatic fragrances. It consists of a Zen garden where the visitor may relax amidst an array of aromatic plants; sage, mint, thyme, absinthe… The empress’s rose garden is remodeled inside the park every spring as a homage to Josephine.

Address: 9 rue Albert 1er, 92500 Rueil-Malmaison
Phone: +33 (0)1 47 10 08 20
Opening time: From October 1st to april 30th : 07:30 am to 07:00 pm
From May 1st to September 30th: 07:30 am to 08:00 pm

Eglise Saint-Pierre Saint-Paul

Saint Peter and Pauls Church, stands in Rueil’s old town centre. Anthony 1st King of Portugal laid the first stone in 1584 while here in exile but its originality resides in the Romanesque bell tower built during the English invasion of 1420 until 1432 and in the central door commissioned by the cardinal Richelieu and dues to Lemercier, architect.
The Chapelle Saint Nicolas in this Church is the burial place of the Empress Josephine and her daughter Queen Hortense.

Opening time:
Everyday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Address: Place de l'église, 92500 Rueil-Malmaison
Phone: 01 47 08 24 22
Website *Source : Rueil Tourisme

Golf Blue Green

A nice 9-hole golf course next to the Château de Malmaison.

Opening time
July/August: on weekdays from 8:30 am to 7h30 pm, on weekends from 8am to 8pm.
In October: opening without interruption from 8am to 6:30pm
In November: opening without interruption from 8am to 6:00pm

Address: Golf Blue Green Rueil-Malmaison - Boulevard Marcel Pourtout, 92500 Rueil-Malmaison
Phone: +33 (0)1 47 49 64 67

0 item(s)

Select Language